Skip to the content

SR-22 Insurance

sr-22-insuranceWhat Is An SR-22?

The SR-22 insurance is, basically a special form that shows proof of automobile insurance. In certain circumstances the Department of Transportation/Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will require proof of insurance to be filed with them in order for you to keep your Drivers License valid. An SR-22 filing is almost always required for an Occupational License. Once the SR-22 form is filed with the DMV, the insurance company is required to inform them if your insurance policy cancels. If a cancellation occurs, the DMV will suspend your driving privileges until insurance is restarted and a new SR-22 form is filed.

How long do I need to keep the SR-22?

This depends on the type of issue you have with the DMV and in some cases on decisions made by the court system. It can range from 6 months to 10 years. The DMV keeps track of how long you need to have an SR-22 form on file with them. They do not notify the insurance company or your insurance agent of that information. We can inquire about your Wisconsin requirement if you would like or you can contact the following number to find that information: 608-266-2261, Hold for English, Press 5, and then Press 3 to speak to a person. They can look up your Drivers license status and SR-22 information using your Drivers license number or your social security number and birth date. You can also check this information online at

How is the SR-22 form filed with DMV?

The SR-22 form is produced by your auto insurance company and can be taken by you to the DMV to be filed or can be sent electronically by the insurance company. If the insurance company files the form electronically, it takes a minimum of 2 business days from the time the SR-22 is added to your policy until the DMV attaches it to your license. If time is a factor, the best option is to take the SR-22 form to one of their offices in person and have them process it at the counter.

Can the SR-22 insurance be separate from my existing insurance?

Yes. You do not need to have your SR-22 form through your existing auto insurance company. You can obtain an SR-22 through a separate insurance company while maintaining your existing insurance. Some insurance companies do not handle SR-22’s and may cancel your policy if one is needed. Others will issue one but will increase your rate substantially. Many of the companies we work with at Compliance Insurance are set up to handle SR-22 filings and do not have large surcharges for them.

A Named Non-Owner policy is one that many use in this circumstance. They wish to maintain their current insurance but do not want to have that company issue the SR-22. The Named Non-Owner policy takes care of the SR-22 as long as it is in force. However, it only covers claims for very specific circumstances. We would be happy to discuss this option with you.

If you would like to discuss any of this information or would like further information,
please feel free to contact us at Compliance Insurance in Middleton, WI.
Our phone numbers are: 608-836-1001 or 888-448-9838.